Value of Mirco-Burst Learning
Microlearning makes the transfer of learning 17% more efficient.
Source: Journal of Applied Psychology
- When bite-sized learning content is easily and readily accessible, learners can take it at their own pace, wherever they are, and most importantly, when they are “ready.”
- Because bite-sized courses are more focused, learners don’t have to clutter their memories with irrelevant information. This makes retention easier.
- Learners have to digest only small chunks of information. This makes comprehension easier without spending too much effort.
- Because microlearning content addresses only 1-2 learning objectives, courses, on an average, yield 4-5 learned takeaways.
Learners Prefer Microlearning.
C-Suite has recognized the efficacy of micro-learning in addressing the needs of millennial learners. Millennial learners demand that training is:
- Customized to their needs
Microlearning creates 50% more engagement.
Learner disengagement and boredom kill the chances of success in an eLearning program. Microlearning is the solution, as the learners themselves have pointed it out.
Learning in stretches of 3-7 minutes matches the working memory capacity and attention spans of humans.
The human brain is not wired to maintain focus for hours on end. It learns better when the content is delivered in short bursts with the courses well-spaced out to help cement the learning. Repetition also aids retention. Microlearning is well-suited to this delivery format.